Monday, April 4, 2011

Late coffee and good news

Today was productive.
Abs, Modern, Ballet.
Rehearsal with the seniors for Orion Duckstein's piece
Work (AU Dance office & Starbucks)
Rehearsal with Sam Householder and If/ Then Dance (Like If/Then Dance on Facebook!) or (follow us on Twitter).

I was going to post after my audition last week with HT Chen Company, but making money got in the way.  I was basically going to say that it was a small audition (it was split up by days and groups) and a positive experience.  And I enjoyed myself :)  They told us we would hear by monday by email, so I thought nothing much of it for the rest of the weekend.  Que sera, sera.

As a side note:  I was really impressed by the company.  They have their own dance center in China Town, do a ton of outreach, teach, perform often, paid rehearsals and performances, the company has been around for over 30 years, and they seem like a great, yet low-radar/uncomercialized company.  Oh and of course, I enjoyed the movement style and choreography :) The atmosphere was really great as well and I liked the company dancers who I met.  Plus, HT Chen is a hilarious old Asian guy. (He came in really late to the audition, with his tie around his fedora hat, which he thought was the best idea every).

Now down to the point-- I GOT A CALLBACK!


Just checked my email, and there it was.  April 20th, folks.  I'm in disbelief.  This is about my fifth audition, and now my second callback. (last year being a callback for Paul Taylor, which also knocked my socks off).  I'm not expecting anything.  Because I don't think you can expect anything for auditions and callbacks; you'd drive yourself nuts if you did.  I just hope to gain something out of every one of these experiences.

Well, better practice my Tiger's Mouth. (hand posture HT Chen often uses, where all the fingers are together, except for the thumb which sticks for out.  Put thumb and index finger together, and it makes a "Tiger's Mouth") ;)

1 comment:

  1. correction:
    Put thumbS and index fingerS together, and it makes a "Tiger's Mouth") ;)

    ReplyDelete