Monday, June 20, 2011

Late June Updates and some Job Advice

As I figured, Vital Dance didn't take me because I will be out of the country for their next performance. Boo.

Missing Paul Taylor's annual beach party because I'll be in Italy.

Haven't been really able to do any new auditions because the auditions/rehearsals/performances are for when I'll be away.

And lastly, the date of the Raw Artist series has been changed to June 30th, so I will no longer be able to perform with If/Then Dance, because I will be in a plane somewhere between Washington and Rome.

But on the upside...I'M GOING TO ITALY!!!


As for some other news, my internship with Paul Taylor will be ending next week before I go away.  I've got tons of workstudy hours, so I can continue to take classes for this fall when they start back up.

Also I'm looking into some job transitions.
Here's the deal:  Starbucks does not pay enough for my rent/living/loans and I can't be workings 35+ hour weeks on my feet trying to make it happen.  It is SO draining working nonstop on your feet like that.  My body feels unhealthy, and like it's shrinking.

Here is some job advice for dancers without rich Daddies, that I've collected from my teachers upon graduating, and now have come to understand through experience.  Because let's face it, dancing won't pay the bills:
DON'T get a job where you're on your feet for long hours and long weeks
DO get a job within your interests
DO get a dance or fitness related job
DO get a job where you can sit down and rest your body or have short weekly hours
Office jobs are GREAT.  As long as you can fit in class and rehearsals.

Through taking classes at Taylor, I've come to understand that a LOT of dancers nanny for a living.  It's nothing to put on your professional resume, but it can pay BIG bucks in this rich city.

So, I'm off to Prospect Park tomorrow for a little interview for an afterschool babysitter.  20+ hours a week, two children, good pay, late afternoons and evenings so I can take class or rehearse in the morning.  I have lots of babysitting experience, especially growing up with little sisters, so I will have fun.
Just what I'm looking for.

OR

If you're REALLY lucky, you can just have Mommy and Daddy pay for all of college, your rent, your travel, your food, and your living expenses!!!! (note tone of sarcasm and bitterness)

Dance is such an unfair and elite profession that is only for the rich.  All of this job and money stuff really limits and holds you back.  I for see in my near future, days where I eat cereal for all three meals, but I've really got no other choice :P



No comments:

Post a Comment